How to Set-up a DVB-S card for freeview DTH
Once you have installed and checked your hardware you will need to set-up and configure the DVB-S card so that it works correctly for the New Zealand freeview service. This guide is split into the following sections -
- Start set-up tool
- Add the new capture card
- Capture card settings
- Recording Options
- DiSEqC LNB Settings
- Check the Video Source
- Define the new Input
- Scanning for Channels
First make sure that you have no pending recordings, and then exit the main myPVR gui so that the myPVR Welcome page is displayed.
You can then activate the set-up tool by pressing Alt + S on the keyboard, which should show the menus in the screen shot to the right.
- 2 – Capture Cards.
If the screen doesn’t already show your DVB capture card then select
- (New Capture Card)
Now click on “DiSEqC” to set the correct LNB values for your satellite dish.
Click on “(Unconnected)” and then select “LNB”.In order to correctly tune to the satellite signal myPVR needs to know the type of LNB that is mounted on your satellite dish. Typically in New Zealand LNBs are either Universal units, or have a fixed LO value. SkyTV dishes normally have fixed LO LNBs, with most modern units having a value of 10750.
- LNB Preset: ? Custom
- LNB Type: ? Standard (Voltage)
- LNB LOF Low (MHz): ? 10750, 10650 or 11300
- LNB Preset: ? Universal
Once you have selected the correct values click on “Finish” and the press the back button to return to “Capture Card Setup”. To complete your card set-up click on “Finish” and then the back button again to return to the main set-up menu.
- 3 Video Source
If a video source for “myPVR NZ DTH” has not already been defined, then select
- (New Video Source)
You then need to make sure that your new video source is defined correctly, making sure that the video source is named correctly with the exact mix of case and spaces.The screen shot to the right has all of the details which should be as follows:
- Video source name: ? myPVR NZ DTH
- XMLTV listings grabber: ? New Zealand (mypvr.co.nz)
- Perform EIT Scan: ? OFF
- Channel frequency table: ? default
You need to map the capture card and video source onto the correct input.
From the main set-up menu choose option
- 4 Input Connections
Then select the unassigned DVB input.
- Display Name: ? freeview
- Video Source: ? myPVR NZ DTH
- Unencrypted channels only: ? ON
- Allow audio only channels: ? ON
- Use DishNet Long-termTroubleshooting EIT Data: ? OFF
- Input priority: ? 5
We advise that your raise the Input Priority for this input to “5″ so that it will normally be selected as the default when scheduling a recording.
Please reference our separate guide on how to Set-up freeview DTH channels.
Cannot find capture card
- When entering the capture card settings the Frontend ID should be “ST STV0299 DVB-S”.
- First make sure that the DVB-S Capture card is seated correctly.
- Try an alternative PCI slot for the card, preferably the slot closest to the edge of the case
- Boot the system and type “Alt +X ” to get a terminal screen, and then type “lspci”. The output should have a line containg output similar to
Network controller: Techsan Electronics Co Ltd B2C2 FlexCopII DVB chip / Technisat SkyStar2 DVB card (rev 02)
Channel scan cannot open capture card.
- Check capture card is present using tips above
- Make sure that the MythTV Gui isn’t running and isn’t recording. If a recording is taking place you can’t re-configure the card.
- Check that you have configured the card to only open on demand in “Step 4 Recording Options“.